Friday, March 2, 2018

Super Deadlift Bar Issues

The first major issue I am facing at the new gym is with the super deadlift bar I mentioned yesterday. The handles are really thick, making it very difficult to grip.

My goal for tonight was to establish a starting weight for a 531 program. I did the following:

135/10, 225/5, 275/5, 315/5, 365/1+, 335/5, 345/5, 345/4+

Compare that with what I was doing on the hex bar and this is a joke. In fact, Jeffersons are actually easier than this!

With the set of 365/1+, the bar fell out of my hand before I made it to the top of the second rep. The same thing happened on my second set of 345 before I made it to rep 5. This was while using chalk, too!

Unfortunately, I am not sure what the solution is other than to just get used to the bar and get stronger at it. There aren't any other options for me. I am done taking risks with my back to try conventional squatting and deadlifting again. If I want to put a positive spin on this, I can go with the thought of if I can get to 400+ on this bar, that would be a real accomplishment.  :|

One idea that came to me was to use this bar merely as a supplement to Jeffersons and do both on the same day. However, I have enjoyed having two separate deadlift days, so I am not sure that I want to do that.

After the deads, I did a 27 minute HIIT session on the treadmill.

(Bodyweight: 218)

1 comment:

  1. Possibly consider straps for just your heaviest sets?

    ReplyDelete