Monday, November 22, 2021

2021 Miami Throwdown Competition Results (USPA)

My first full powerlifting competition is in the books and what a wonderful experience it was! We had a great group supporting each other at Unbranded Brewing Co. in Miami.  

All I wanted to do was hit a squat PR and total at least 1200 pounds. Well, I met both of those goals and hit a deadlift PR to boot! I was also successful in 8 of 9 attempts, missing only the second bench press.  

Results

Weight Class: 110kg (Weighed in at 105.8kg (233lbs.)); Masters 40-44

Squats: 375, 402, 430 (PR)

      * I thought 430 was going to be in question, but that wasn't the case at all. I definitely had more in the tank. If this wasn't a meet, I would have put 440 on the bar and tried a fourth attempt.

Bench: 254, 265 (fail), 265

       * Bench pressing... ugh. I have no idea how people are good this...it's a constant battle for me. 254 wasn't that fast. I am not sure why I was red lighted on the second attempt. The third was good, but it was a grind and a half. 

Deadlift: 465, 502, 524 (PR)

         * I was surprised at how fast 502 moved. 524 was an absolute grinder, but resulted in three white lights and a 9 pound PR.

Meet Total: 1219.  This was good enough for first place in my weight/age class. Truthfully, I don't know if there was anyone else in the class.... I will find out when the official results are posted.

Videos of all lifts can be found on my Instagram page: @beetroot.mckinley

What a great day and I'm looking forward to the next!

2 comments:

  1. Great job, congratulations, and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, man! Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.

    ReplyDelete