Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Swimming

A few posts ago, I mentioned how I injured my finger during basketball. While I have been able to lift through the injury, basketball has been a no go. I don't know how long I will be out, but it will be for the foreseeable future.

Since I find the treadmill and other cardio machines incredibly boring, I decided to ask a swimmer friend of mine to put a workout together for me.  Keep in mind that I haven't swam in probably 15-20 years, so I really have no clue what I'm doing in the pool.  However, I decided to try it out.


In 75 minutes, I did the following:

   300 yard warm up (regular swimming)
   4 x 50 yd kick (on your back, kicking)
   500 yd pull (put something between your legs, use only your arms)
   1 x 200 yd (regular swimming)
   2 x 100 yd (regular swimming)
   1 x 200 yd (regular swimming)
   4 x 50 yd  (regular swimming)

This kind of workout felt much different than lifting weights or playing basketball.  It was strange to feel worn out without sweating or feeling beat up. I was also extremely hungry at the end of the swim, and couldn't wait to get home to eat some Chobani.  While some of the longer sessions (300 yard warm up & 500 yard pull) were tedious, I still preferred them to treadmill work.

My game plan is to swim for conditioning until I am able to play basketball again.

No comments:

Post a Comment