Sunday, August 26, 2012

Strong 15- Week 6: Overhead Press

I had a big birthday party last night. Much alcohol was consumed. The result: major hangover when I woke up at 9 this morning. Another added bonus was that I woke up with severe lower back pain for reasons I do not know. 

Prior to said hangover & back pain, my plan was to do overhead presses, chins, Pendlays, and curls today. As I was nursing the hangover with a lot of water and icing my back throughout the morning and early afternoon, I figured that I would skip the gym today and take care of the aforementioned workout tomorrow. But, this made me upset. I didn't want to cut into tomorrow's cardio workout (which will hopefully be swimming again, as I continue to recover from my finger injury).

So, at 2pm, I decided that I would go to the gym at 3 and see if I could make it through today's scheduled workout. I also went in knowing that I would replace chins with lat pulldowns because there would be no way that I would make it through 8 sets of chins. Certain things you try, and maybe you make it, which is awesome. Other things, like chins in this case, you just wave the white flag from the get go.

The workout went well, all things considered. My back was not an issue at all. It's almost as if working out cured most of the pain. I really have no complaints about today's session, taking into account what I was working with.

Press

91/5, 106/4, 124/3, 137/2, 151/1, 160/1, 169/1, 146/9

Lat Pulldowns

* I haven't done this exercise in over a year and a half, as it's been replaced with chin ups and pull ups.
* Used the 5x7, 3x10 chin up format

160/7, 170/7, 170/7, 170/7, 170/7, 150/10, 160/10, 160/10

Pendlay Rows

153/8,8

Poundstone Curls

42/47

* I really wanted to go for 50 today, but came up a little short.
* 47 was a true max because I failed at my first attempt at the 47th rep and barely was able to do it on my second attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment