Friday, September 14, 2012

Strong 15- Week 9: Overhead Press

Press

95/5, 108/4, 127/3, 140/2, 155/1, 165/1, 174/1, 159/6, 181/1 (PR)

I was scheduled to do 159/8-12 reps, but I was spent after the 6th rep. This made me pretty upset, especially in light of yesterday's deadlift failure. I didn't want to walk away from shoulder presses on that note, so I decided to try a PR tonight.  On March 24, 2012, I posted a video of myself failing at a 181 pound shoulder press.  So, I decided to try 181 tonight. This time, I was able to do it.

Video- 181/1


Chin Ups

7,7,7,7,7
8,8,9

Pendlay Rows

158/8, 153/8

Poundstone Curls

42/57 (PR)

There are now two weeks left in the Strong 15. Next week, there will only be one day of lifting, where I will do 1 set of 5 reps at 50% of my desired 1RM in the bench press, overhead press, squat, and deadlift.

The week after that, I will test new PRs in all four of those exercises.

I will then take a week off from lifting after that, and start again the following week.  So, in the next 3 weeks, there will not be very much lifting.

* Regarding my deadlift form, Craig Hirota, of www.firebirdfitness.com, offered me some great advice. He informed me that I've been doing stiff legged deadlifts (as opposed to conventional) because I don't lower my hips at all.  Lowering my hips should increase my conventional deadlift a good amount, so I am looking forward to that.  I don't know how much it will increase when I test my 1RM in two weeks, however, as I am not used to lowering my hips. Hopefully, the learning curve won't be too long or difficult.


No comments:

Post a Comment